Over the past several years, MS. Licence BV has endeavoured to develop soil that would be suitable for varying climates and environments. At the helm of this development is Prof. G. Brueck under whom AquaSoil was first patented in Germany.
AquaSoil® is the latest development in the field of innovative soil production.
AquaSoil® is not only a product but also a service for potential customers. In co-operation with one of the biggest compost producer GABCO in Germany, the AquaSoil® philosophy was realised. It is therefore worthy to note that AquaSoil® will be always properly adjusted to the needs and demands of individual customers.
The basic idea was born due to the requirement for the combination of the following:
- high water storage capacity
- long lasting organic substrates
- living humus
- rich soil nutrition
AquaSoil also took into consideration that the soils of the region always remains the same. However, the additives (like minerals and salts) and the concentration of the ingredients can be different according to the needs and demands of that particular region.
Thus began the study for the creation of the harshest environment, which is the desert climate, and in particular the desert climate of the Middle East. But prior to concentrating upon the task to deliver the best agricultural conditioner into the Middle East, the company observed and analysed the special circumstances surrounding this region.
- High sun radiation results in high soil temperatures.
- This, in turn, influences the humidity in the soil and the micro biological activity.
Therefore, one of the main objectives of developing AquaSoil was once water is poured on the ground, then the product should help to reduce the drying out of the ground. For this, AquaSoil® was developed with strong physical and chemical water storage features. AquaSoils main properties will
- keep the water in the soil;
- avoid the water loss into deeper, sandy sections of the ground; and
- reduce the loss by evaporation.
Similarly, the micro biological activity was closely observed under laboratory tests. It was clear from the beginning that in standard soil (with a normal content of humus) high temperature leads to very high activity which very soon converts to total mineralisation of the organic matter, i.e. salt contents. That means the soil is dead after about one year, with the micro biological activity coming to an end.
Therefore, with this high activity all normal organic compounds are converted too fast into the final end product of mineralisation, which are nutrients in the mineral form. These salts are water soluble and can be washed out.
Hence, the another primary objective of the experiment was to delay the decomposition of the organic matter. This is realised by AquaSoil® with the addition of specific humic acids. This specific organic material resisted (and for a longer period) the oxidation as enzymatic reaction caused by the micro-organisms in the living soil. Thereby, the mineralisation process was delayed, which kept the micro biological activity for many years even at high temperature levels in the soil.
Over and above that, it was ensured that AquaSoil® also contains also normal organic matter from perfect composts. The high quality living humus was modified and enriched with minerals. To fulfil the water storage function, AquaSoil® contains a polyelectrolyte based plant growth enhancer which is:
- biologically harmless
- non toxic
- does not contain any toxicological relevant substances, and especially no acrylic amid as other hydrogels in the market
- effective up to 5 years and more after application, depending on the growing calcium content
AquaSoil® therefore not only contains this water storage polymer but is also nearly molecularly dispersed. This is hence possible, that the soil is irrigated extremely regularly with even the smallest fibres of the root being serviced with sufficient water.
The effectiveness of AquaSoil® is based on the polyelectrolyte structure of its additives, which enables the conditioner or artificial soil to absorb more than its own weight in water. This process is reversible and in the vicinity of plants, it can give this water up to the plant, when needed. This specific humus acts as a water reservoir for the plant and takes the plant through dry periods.
The equal humidity within AquaSoil® also prevents over watering (which can cause partial process of decay). Furthermore, the better use of the stored humidity is guaranteed. This provides the following advantages:
- The plants can take up water easier, as well as nutrients
- the plants produce more organic building blocks and, therefore, show increased growth in a short span of time
- the plants are stronger and are therefore less susceptible to disease
- due to the improved aeration, the micro flora and bacterial content of the soil is enhanced, which is beneficial for the growth of the plants
- the plants are more robust against stresses such as transplantation or dry periods
- the plants show prolonged shelf life and higher survival rates
- agricultural crops show increased yields
AquaSoil® can collect and store rain and irrigation water. This water is normally lost due to downward gravity and/or run off due to the soils poor water retention properties or by evaporation at the surface due to the extreme hot climate. Furthermore, once AquaSoil® is mixed with the soil, it increases in volume which loosens the soil and enhances the aeration, thereby leading to improved air supply to the plant. All these facts result in huge benefits for the plant, without the use of any conventional fertiliser, simply by using the growth enhancing properties of this special conditioner or soil + water.
AquaSoil® can enhance drastically the water storage capability of the soils. This reduces the watering frequency, water consumption and the power and labour costs that are invested into these functions.
AquaSoil® can help during the growth cycle of grasses and sod, particularly during the germination phase. Quicker growth, reduction of transportation stress and root establishment are key success parameters which establish the seedlings. The collection and the storage of rain and irrigation water can reduce labour and water costs, as well as providing relief for difficult growing areas. This storage capacity has various advantages against normal soils in the market:
- The evaporation volume is strongly reduced to about the half of normal soil
- The water flow out of the soil is strongly reduced
- The soil structure remains fairly constant and for a longer period
- The retained water keeps the soil dust free for a longer period, which avoids the erosion of the soil
- There is sufficient water within the soil for a longer period, and therefore also around the roots of the plants.
- The fertilisation of the soil is also stored for a much longer period
- The water soluble soil nutrition will not be washed out quickly
The storage capacity remains active for a long time, which means that with each irrigation the water content in the AquaSoil®, the soil is full up and can develop its positive effects.
In all types of irrigations, the salt content must be considered, because the higher the salt content the less the storage capacity of the polymer. The physical water storage will not be influenced by the salts.
We now invite you to visit our web page which relates to the Pilot Test that was undertaken with satisfying results that was even better than the companys expectations under the laboratory tests.